Training and Education at Microprocessor Lab
In the last twenty five years or so, microprocessors and microelectronics in general have brought about a revolution in computer science, manufacturing, telecommunications as well as in space and high-energy physics. In view of the impact of this new technology, it was quite natural that ICTP started organizing courses on physics of microprocessor and its applications. For ICTP it meant a departure from purely theoretical physics, and a step towards technology and the applied aspects of physics.
In 1981 the ICTP Microprocessor Laboratory provided the organization of the First Microprocessor College. The course was such a success that it was decided to repeat it: at ICTP every odd year, and, a regional one, in a developing country every even year. A hands-on experience was intended to be an essential component of the Microprocessor Laboratory courses. Up to now, more than a thousand scientists have attended the courses organized by the Laboratory . A special effort was put in the organization of the courses held outside Trieste, such as those that took place in: Sri Lanka, Colombia, Portugal, P.R. China, Argentina, Ghana, Mexico, Cuba, Cameroon, Vietnam, The Philippines, and Peru.
Present Training Activities
Presently the Microprocessor Laboratory organizes schools and workshops on the following main topics: Advanced FPGA Design and VHDL, Programmable System on Chip (SoC), Reconfigurable Instrumentation and High Performance Data Acquisition and Processing System (e.g. based on DSP-FPGA combination). These activities are mainly funded by ICTP.
2015 Training Activities:
- Joint ICTP-IAEA School on Hybrid Reconfigurable Devices for Scientific Instrumentation | (smr 2737)Organizer(s): Iain Darby, Mladen Bogovac, Joseph Niemela, Maria Liz Crespo, Andres Cicuttin - ICTP Local Organizer: Maria Liz Crespo Cosponsor(s): International Atomic Energy Agency(IAEA) Support E-Mail: email@example.com
- Hands-On Research in Complex Systems School | (smr 2752)Organizer(s): Joseph Niemela, Michael Schatz, Mark Shattuck, Brian Storey - ICTP Local Organizer: Maria Liz Crespo Support E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Asian Regional School on FPGA Design for Scientific Instrumentation | (smr 2689) Oganizer(s): Andres Cicuttin, Maria Liz Crespo, Muhammad Aslam Uqaili, Bhawani Shakar Chowdhry, Tayab Din Memo ICTP Local Organizer: Maria Liz Crespo Support E-Mail: email@example.com
2014 Training Activities:
Regional Conference & FPGA School on Advanced Instrumentation (smr2641) A. Cicuttin, M.L. Crespo, C. Meza Benavides, R. Gonzalez, R. Pereira-Arroyo. ICTP Local Organizer: M. L. Crespo. E-Mail:firstname.lastname@example.org
2013 Training Activities:
- Joint ICTP-IAEA Workshop on Advances in Digital Spectroscopy (smr2456) I. Darby (NAPC). ICTP Local Organizer: J. Niemela. E-Mail: email@example.com
- International Training Workshop on FPGA Design for Scientific Instrumentation and Computing. Organizer(s): A. Cicuttin, M.L. Crespo (ICTP), J.D. Dondo (Spain). ICTP Local Organizer: M.L. Crespo E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2012 Training Activities:
- First Regional Workshop on Distributed Embedded Systems with Emphasis on Open Source (Kampar - Malaysia); Organizer(s): A. Induruwa (UK), C. Kavka (Italy), U. Raich (Switzerland), M.L. Crespo, A. Cicuttin (ICTP), S.W. Lee, C.S. Ang (Local Organizers in Malaysia).
- Joint ICTP-TWAS Latin-American Advanced Course on FPGA Design for Scientific Instrumentation (La Havana - Cuba)
Organizer(s): Directors: L.Tabares , N. Abdallah (USA), A. Cicuttin and M.L. Crespo (ICTP)
2011 Training Activities:
- Joint ICTP-TWAS First ICTP Regional Microelectronics Course on VHDL for Hardware Synthesis and FPGA Design in South and Southeast Asia (smr2275), Directors: Mamun Bin Ibne Reaz, Miftahur Rahman, Andres Cicuttin, Maria Liz Crespo, Nizar Abdallah.
Second Workshop on Open Source and the Internet for Building Global Scientific Communities (smr2273), Directors: Abhaya Induruwa, Carlos Kavka, Uli Raich. Local Organisers: A. Cicuttin and M.L. Crespo.
2010 Training Activities:
Latin-American Basic Course on FPGA Design for Scientific Instrumentation (Mar
del Plata - Argentina), Directors: A. Cicuttin, N. Abdallah, H. Larrondo, L. H. Tabares.
LO: J. Finochietto, C. Gonzalez. ICTP LO: M.L. Crespo
2009 Training Activities:
Advanced Training Course on FPGA Design and VHDL for Hardware Simulation and Synthesis, October-November 2009. Directors: N. Abdallah (Actel Corp.), A. Marchioro (CERN), A. Cicuttin (ICTP)
First Workshop on Open Source and Internet Technology for Scientific Environment: with case studies from Environmental Monitoring, 7-25 September 2009. Directors: A. Induruwa, C. Kavka, U. Raich; ICTP Local Organizers: M.L. Crespo and M. Zennaro
- PHYSWARE: A Collaborative Workshop on Low-cost Equipment and Appropriate Technologies that Promote Undergraduate Level, Hands-on Physics Education throughout the Developing World, February 2009. Directors: P. Jolly, P. Laws, E. Sassi, D. Zollman; ICTP Local Organizer: J. Niemela
2008 Training Activities:
First ICTP Regional Microelectronics Workshop and Training on VHDL for Hardware Synthesis and FPGA Design in Asia-Pacific, June-July 2008, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Directors: M.B.I. Reaz, N.S. Chin, A. Cicuttin, N. Abdallah, A. Marchioro; Local Organizers: M.A.M. Ali, F. Mohd-Yasin, C. Oh, A.A. Halim
First Latin American Regional Workshop on Distributed Laboratory Instrumentation in Physics, January-February 2008, Valdivia, Chile. Directors: A. Induruwa, C. Kavka, U. Raich; Local Organizer: Jorge Santamarina
- Short Course on FPGA Design, Logic Synthesis and Reconfigurable Virtual Instrumentation delivered by Andres Cicuttin and Maria Liz Crespo. 29 September - 14 October 2008, Physics Department, Antioquia University, Medellin, Colombia.
2006 Training Activities:
ICTP-INFN Advanced Training Course on FPGA Design and VHDL for Hardware Simulation and Synthesis, November-December 2006. Organizer(s): N. Abdallah, A. Cicuttin, A. Vacchi